Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Myths of Couponing

7 Myths of Couponing
1. Generic is Cheaper
2. Coupons are for low quality, highly processed foods
3. I don't use anything that coupons are for
4. I don't have any stores that double so it isn't worth it.
5. I don't have space to store things.
6. Couponing means I have to shop at a ton of stores and waste gas.

1. Generic is Cheaper

Couponing is like playing a card game. You don't throw everything out at once or show your hand early. You hold back and wait for that perfect moment to play those cards. The trick with couponing is to hold those coupons until that perfect sale price comes along.

An example:
Activia Yogurt 4 pack: $3.59
Rainbow generic yogurt: $.40 each, $1.20 total
I can use my  $1 Activia coupon and get the 4 pack for $2.59, and still pay $1.39 over generic.
OR I can wait until it goes on sale for $2 and use my coupon on double days and get it FREE!
This is NOT a made up analogy by the way. Real scenario that I have used.

2. Coupons are for low quality, highly processed foods

Lets say for a moment that there really are NO coupons out there for any food you would possibly eat. You still brush your teeth, wash your hair, shave, take medications, and wipe your butt don't you? By saving on necessities like toiletries (which are easy to get free with coupon) you are able to then roll that extra money into your food budget.

Now - there are plenty of good coupons out there for good healthy foods. A sample of healthy foods I've gotten with coupons:

Whole Grain Pasta
Tomato Sauce
Frozen Veggies
Yogurt
Tuna
Canned Tomatoes
Oatmeal
Cereal (Healthy varieties!)
Fresh meats

Another important point here is that some stores allow coupon overages. So if they have "highly processed item" on sale for $1 and you have a doubled $1 coupon, you get a $1 overage towards your total order, allowing more room in your total for fresh veggies and fruit! Rainbow no longer allows overages, but when they did I would take the item for the additional discount and throw or donate it!

3. I don't use anything that coupons are for.

This is true - IF you are brand loyal. You can't be successful in couponing if you are brand loyal. It's okay to be loyal to a few things. However, most of the time any brand will do. I prefer Aquafresh toothpaste but if I can get Crest for free - why not use that instead? Reevaluate what is worth it to you.

4. I don't have any stores that double so it isn't worth it.

Reference my Activia example back in #1. Even if that coupon wasn't doubled you would have come out ahead of the generic by $.20.

5. I don't have space to store things.

Be creative. I have heard of people that put stuff under beds, put it in boxes and cover it with fabric to make an end table, etc. Also, you don't have to be a super-hoarder to reap the benefits of couponing. I limit the number of items that I'll take into my stockpile, especially if they have an expiration date or if they're large. For example, I don't want too many boxes of cereal, but I'll take just about as much free toothpaste as I can get.

6. Couponing means I have to shop at a ton of stores and waste gas.

This can be true if you aren't careful. Try planning out your trips all in one day. In the Minneapolis metro, it is easy for me to hit Rainbow, Cub, Walgreens, and Target without too much driving. I've found that the best couponing is happening at Rainbow, so usually I only go there anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment